Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Year of Meats: Chapter 7

Quote:
I have an honest, earnest face.  It's the Asian-American Woman thing---we're reliable, loyal, smart but nonthreatening.  This is why we get to do so much newscasting in America.  It's a convenient precedent.  The average American is trained to believe what I tell him. (Ozeki 157)

Thoughts:
So often we assume that racial stereotypes are always negative characterstics about a group of individuals, but this quote tells another tale.  Here Jane is explaining the benefits of having Japanese heritage, for others view Asian-American women as "reliable, loyal, smart, but nonthreatening".

As an Asian American woman myself, I have to admit that this stereotype is quite true.  I guess the media so often portrays Asian women as quiet and submissive, with only one goal: to please our husbands.  In the Chinese culture, I was taught that men were more valued than women and that in every way women are more inferior to men.  (I know what you are thinking, but that is a totally different topic that I have too much to say.)  As a result, many Asian women grow up to be their husband's helper, by becoming reliable, loyal, smart, and nonthreatening.  Plus, you usually never see an Asian American woman robbing a bank on TV with her Asian visor on.  (OK, bad joke written on the wrong blog).  

No comments:

Post a Comment